Many factors could cause thrombocytopenia or a low platelet count. The condition could be inherited or else acquired. «Inherited» means your parents bypass the gene for the state to you. «Acquired» means you are not born with the state, however you develop this. Sometimes the reason of thrombocytopenia is not known.
Universal Reasons for low platelet count in blood
• The body’s bone marrow does not make sufficient platelets.
• The bone marrow makes sufficient platelets, however the body destroy them or else uses them up.
• The spleen hold on to lots of platelets.
A combination of the above factor as well might reason a low platelet count.
If for any reason your blood platelet count falls below typical, the condition is named thrombocytopenia. Usually you have wherever from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of circulated blood. Since each platelet live simply about 10 days, your body repeatedly renews your platelet supply by producing new platelet in your bone marrow.
There are several causes behind Thrombocytopenia.
1. Trapping of platelets in the spleen
The spleen is a little organ regarding the size of your fist situated just below your rib enclose on the left side of your stomach. Usually, your spleen works to fight disease and filter surplus matter from your blood. An inflamed spleen — which could be caused by an amount of disorders — might harbor too many platelets, cause a decrease in the amount of platelet in circulation.
2. Condensed production of platelets
Platelets are shaped in your bone marrow. An illness or condition that involves your bone marrow, for example leukemia and several type of anemia, could guide to a reduction in the amount of new platelets formed. Viral infection, counting HIV infection, might reduce your bone marrow’s capability to make platelets. Chemotherapy, Toxic chemicals, drugs as well as heavy alcohol eating also could decrease platelet production.
3. Increased breakdown of platelets
A number of conditions could cause your body to use up or else destroy platelets faster than they are produced, foremost to a shortage of platelet in your blood stream. Examples comprise of:
- Pregnancy. Being pregnant might cause mild thrombocytopenia.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). In ITP, your body’s resistant system incorrectly identifies platelets as a danger and forms antibody that attack them.
- Autoimmune diseases. Other disease in which your body’s resistant system attacks healthy tissue might reason thrombocytopenia. Examples comprise of lupus as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bacteria in the blood. Rigorous bacterial infections concerning the blood (bacteremia) might lead to obliteration of platelets.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). TTP is an uncommon condition that occurs whilst small blood clot abruptly form all through your body, using up big numbers of platelets.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome. This unusual disorder cause a sharp drop in platelets, damage of red blood cells and injury of kidney function. From time to time it could occur in connection with a bacterial Escherichia coli (E. coli) disease, such as might be acquired from eating raw or else undercooked meat.
- Medications. Definite medications could reduce the amount of platelets in your blood by confuse the immune system as well as causing it to obliterate platelets. Example includes quinidine, quinine, heparin, interferon, anticonvulsants, sulfa-containing antibiotics, and gold salts.